Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I have just started Viibryd and have weaned off Lexapro. I

I have just started Viibryd and have weaned off Lexapro. I am currently taking 20 mgs of the Viibryd and have been experiencing extreme sweating and some agitation. Could it be coming off the Lexapro or going on the Viibryd or both? I did experience one episode of cold sweat/faintness, but not since day before yesterday. My blood sugar is also slightly elevated (I have Type II Diabetes)

Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and I believe I can help you with your problem.

Well it seems like you have developed withdrawal symptoms of Lexapro which could have been avoided had you been more slow in weaning the drug.

But having said that the positive news is that these withdrawal side effects are temporary and self limiting so you can expect them to subside on their own in the next 7-10 days so I suggest that you patiently wait and watch over the next few days continuing on the current drug regime.

If after 1 week there is no improvement in these symptoms then you shall have to ask your doctor to re- introduce Lexapro albeit at a lower dose and restart the weaning of the drug and only after your symptoms have subsided shall you restart on viibryd which should be withdrawn before re-introducing Lexapro.

However I feel that the need of restarting Lexapro may not arise in the first place and in the next few days you shall overcome these symptoms on your own, so please hang in there and patiently wait and watch the symptoms over next few days.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the symptoms are more likely from coming off the Lexapro rather than introducing the Viibryd. I have to confess to having high hopes for the Viibryd.

Yes you got it right. These are Lexapro withdrawal symptoms and not associated with viibryd introduction which is a very safe drug and your hope of this drug bringing desired results may prove to be true since it is an effective drug as well.

I hope this helps.