Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My son now suffers from bipolar disorder and is making adjustments

My son now suffers from bipolar disorder and is making adjustments to his life. He knows that he needs to keep to a regular sleep schedule but he is 27 and maybe once a week would like to stay out a bit later. I am wondering how closely bedtime and getting up time needs to be or if it is more making sure to get the same number of hours per sleep per night. On work nights he is likely to go to bed by 10p.m. and up around 7a.m. When he stays out it might be more likely that he would go to bed by 12:30 p.m. and up by 8a.m.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am so glad to hear that your son is adjusting to his diagnosis and treatment and that he is keeping regular hours.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The fact that he is sleeping well is a wonderful sign that he is not manic. Mania and insomnia (or just a need for less sleep) go hand in hand.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He should be able to feel as if he is having a normal life, and getting out and about will help to further normalize his self-concept. He should be able to have some slack so that he does not feel like an invalid or shut-in. The ultimate goal is to lead a normal life.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Being temperate, however is always a good approach to living. Those weekend schedules seem reasonable and could be stretched for certain events, according to circumstances.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It sounds as if he will be getting plenty of opportunity to sleep and rest.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Don't forget the Omega 3-6-9 supplements, the B12, and vitamin D3 and C.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Getting used to a regular routine is very beneficial. He has the extra benefit of you, his guardian angel.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott

Thank you so much. May God continue to bless your family. :)

Elliott