Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

1989 when I was 43 yrs. old, had second bout with depression

1989 when I was 43 yrs. old, had second bout with depression and ocd.the first
bout was 1972. came from abusive foster home, always felt abandoned. 1989
felt abandonedment from wife, felt she had no emphaty for the financial problems
I was having. the only place I felt welcomed was with a particular friend. he has a
daughter that was 14 years old at the time, that I believe I was feeling a closeness
toward her, as a replacement for the closeness I did not have with my wife.the daughter
was insisting after several calls to meI come to her house for company, as the parents
were gone.i reluctantly decided to go there.siiting with her on the couch, she asked me
to massage her feet. I was having severe ocd, with same thoughts that would not stop.
I started to feel her thigh, and then she sat up, and I started to touch her in an inappropriate place. I had a sense that by doing this my ruminating thoughts would stop. she sat their allowing me do do this, either because she wanted me to, or was
freightened.she heard her parents coming in to the house, then she got off the couch, and then told the parents what happened. they confronted me, and I denied what
happened, from fear, and being in question is since this was a one time
isolated incident, and not in my nature, what am I missing as to why this happened
during the incident I felt like I had a break from reality, so far as knowing the
difference between right and wrong. I have only recently been able to somewhat
let it fo and forgive myself.

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how difficult this situation must be for you. You are clearly a very sensitive person and you are in touch with your emotions. This is a good thing. But you had a difficult childhood in terms of attachment and bonding. These are the building blocks of love, bonding with another human being. Your childhood made this area of love, of bonding and attachment, into a longing emotion. An emotion of longing and a very deep desire within you.

And this is actually the key to my answer to you that you need to consider and think about.You do not have to have been "sick" to have sought love and relief in an inappropriate way. It was not correct, nor legal, nor healthy. However, it does not have to be viewed as some aspect of a dark sickness in order to understand what happened that made you touch her.

Relief is something that can overtake a person. And OCD is an anxiety disorder that makes a person seek relief almost any way they can. I've worked with people with OCD who would try street drugs, who would masturbate, who would do many things to get relief from the obsessive thoughts or behavior.

But in your case the relief from the OCD was intertwined with that tremendous emotion of longing we talked about above. Bonding with this girl had already begun for you. And she was at a stage in her life where she was able to "feel" others' strong longings. She seemed to be able to sense your wounded nature and longing. And she at her age did not know how to respond properly to it.

You also did not know how to respond properly to an emotional reaching out toward you. Again, bonding when there was such a childhood issue with this can be very quick or very difficult. You bonded with her quickly and you let boundaries be violated.

This seems to have been a combination of the need for relief of the OCD as you said above. And with it was the emotional need for love and closeness that welled up in you. Together these were powerful forces that overtook your judgment and values.

This doesn't mean that you are not a person of values and judgment. It means that you had a moment where your judgment was impaired and you violated your values. You have since lived within your values and used your judgment. This is what counts in life: almost every human being acts against his values and uses poor judgment at some juncture in his or her life. This is a constant with us humans. We then look to see what we do after such actions. Do we return and stay within our values and use good judgment? This is how we look to see if we can have peace about our past behaviors. And so, I encourage you to follow this rule, as it is the true way to make peace with yourself about this event in the past.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX