Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Thank you very much for your response dr As you are Indian

Thank you very much for your response dr
As you are Indian you may know that this is common in our culture where women like to dress up the children as girls sometime. I believe there intentions are honest and for fun but a discussion sparked between the men and women in my family regarding my brothers son and the men all said its best to just maybe leave it be and let the child be without any confusion.
So basically
Dressing a child up as the opposite sex can possibly lead to gender confusion?
If we were to make a decision on whether To dress him up as a girl or not, It would be based on:
Having fun vs taking a risk for the child to have gender confusion
Does that basically sum it up?

Greetings !

Well you have got the crux of the concept, you see although the woman's intentions are not malicious in any way while dressing the child in the clothing of opposite sex but at such a tender age a fragile mind of child should not be muddled with by carrying out such actions which may apparently look like a fun filled activity but for a child who is at the learning curve of his life, this may propel his mind to introspect about his true gender and sometimes unnecessary introspection coupled with young age associated curiosity may drive the child to become more experimental about his sexuality which may later take shape of a gender identity disorder.

So it is best to avoid such a practice, after all there are so many other ways to have fun with the child without risk of such repercussions.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.