Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

Is bipolar disorder a progressive disease. I had heard that

Is bipolar disorder a progressive disease. I had heard that some disorders can actually improve as the person ages but also read that bipolar could become worse with age or years of suffering from the disease.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have over 10 years of experience helping people with bipolar and other mental health issues.

Bipolar disorder is not known to be a progressive disease although depending on how a person manages this disorder throughout their life it can appear to be progressive. Often times people who go untreated can have an increasingly difficult time as they get older because the repercussions from impulsiveness and poor decisions start to catch up with them and accumulate. That can appear as if the disease has progressed, however there are certainly many examples of people who have been able to manage their bipolar more effectively as the years go on. Much of this depends on the individual's commitment to treatment, and learning how to respond most appropriately to their symptoms. Of course some cases are also much more difficult than others, so there are a lot of factors involved. However, the fact that someone does have bipolar disorder would not automatically mean that it will get progressively worse and there is always hope for a better life when it is managed properly. I hope I've been able to answer your question, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Ryan