Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have been having recurrent ocd thoughts for the past three days. The thoughts themselves

I have been having recurrent ocd thoughts for the past three days. The thoughts themselves aren't violent - it's more of an awareness that I have had these (violent)thoughts and it's just a constant presence in the back of my mind. I have not been able to focus on anything else or enjoy myself in any way, i have lost my appetite have been having headaches and a feeling of my head being hot. I have an appointment with a psychologist but not for a month from now. Is there anything you can suggest so I don'
t lose my mind in the next few weeks? I am too scared to be alone or fall asleep please help!

Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i believe i can help you with your problem.

I am sorry to learn about your condition and I empathize with you but I will like to tell you that ocd is a very stubborn condition which is best dealt with by a combination of therapy and drug therapy where drug / medication is essential because many times ocd results from neuro-chemical imbalance in the brain which is resurrected by the drugs.

1) Have you been taking any medication for your symptoms ?

2) Will you be interested in trying out a drug/s which shall help you control your symptoms until you meet up with your psychologist ?If yes then I will mention some names of drugs that will suit your ocd and bring it under control?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response! I have not used any medication yet, but I am a little bit scared too. My brain works in peculiar ways and I feel like if I know I am trying to stop my brain from thinking a certain way it will do whatever it can to resist it and counter the result. I know that must sound ridiculous. But in saying that, if you think that medication is the best path to help me then I will absolutely try it.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Well I can understand your apprehension regarding use of a medication but believe me if I had a better alternative to handle your situation of OCD then I would have had no problem what so ever in mentioning that to you.

So I reckon that you ask your GP to prescribe and place you on either Lexapro / Cipralex ( escitalopram) at dose of 10 mg / day to be taken as a single morning dose or Zoloft ( sertraline ) at dose of 50 mg to be taken as a single dose at night time. Both of them are anti depressants which are considered world over as the first line treatment modalities for managing OCD. So any one of these two shall be chosen and started preferably Lexapro as it has faster onset of action.

Other than the above mentioned drug which shall form the mainstay of your treatment you shall also ask your doctor to prescribe you rivotril / klonopin ( generic name -- clonazepam) at dose of 0.25-0.5 mg to be used only occasionally at times when despite of using the already mentioned anti depressant you are feeling overwhelmed with recurrent thoughts , so basically this drug will be used as an addition drug only when it is required owing to severity of your condition.

Also I may also mention here that you shall patiently give the drugs at least 1-2 weeks in order to appreciate their effects on OCD as this much time is required by them to settle in your system and work to the best of their capacity.

I hope this helps.

Kindly discuss these above mentioned drugs with your doctor and do the needful and hopefully you will be able to overcome your symptoms of ocd effectively thereby allowing self to remain symptom free until the meeting with the psychologist takes place.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.\

if there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Regards..