Well it seems like you have had sleep - wake cycle disturbance which makes your sleep very irregular and inconsistent so while the current drug regime will help you to achieve a more consistent pattern of sleep but you need to adhere to what is called as proper Sleep Hygiene which entails below mentioned points.
1) Change the place or room where you sleep so as to provide a new surrounding for sleep.
2) Avoid heavy and oil rich and fried meals at night.
3) Avoid late night meals.
4) Avoid stimulant substances at night like coffee, tea, colas or any caffeine rich beverages.
5) Adhere strictly to a disciplined schedule of wake up and sleep.
6) Avoid listening to music or watching television late at night since these tend to stimulate one's brain. Instead try reading a book if not able to sleep.
7) stop taking up chores or important errands at the time when you wake up in the middle of night instead try to read a book.
8) Start doing regular walking and meditation / yoga exercises to ease your nerves and calm you from within.
9) Wear loose and light clothing while sleep.
10) Make the room well ventilated and with dim lights.
11) If you are not able to sleep for 10-15 minutes then try reading a book or take a stroll in the alley or drink warm milk or take a warm shower.
So these are some of the important points of sleep hygiene which you need to consistently practice and this should help you to regain a disciplined pattern of sleep while the drugs do their work.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.