Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Hello, how are you doing. I have a question concerning hypnotism.

Customer Question

Hello, how are you doing. I have a question concerning hypnotism. I know it would sound like a silly question to ask, but just for the sake of knowing, can hypnotism somehow end bullying in a way? I love psychology and sociology that I wanted to research hypnotism and you can actually hypnotize an individual with direct or even indirect contact. Could you maybe make the bully like you or not focus attention on you at all? Thank you in advance!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 9 months ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your question is not silly. Hypnotism only works when the subject is willing.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are other ways of dealing with bullies.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You cannot appease them and you cannot pretend that they are not trying to victimize you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You must not let them control you or your emotions.

Customer:

Hi how are you :). Oh ok, so just give them a sort of energy that tells them I don't mind what they think.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

No. Don't even acknowledge their negativity. Let is seem to go right past you just as a bull crashes into a matador's empty red cape.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have a wonderful book for you on the various ways of dealing with bullies.

Customer:

Yea before they were difficult to deal with. I tried to be very kind or sincere but I guess they didn't care.

Customer:

Thank you for the book reference as well :).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When you respond like that they know that they have you and see right through you. They are often narcissists and their game is victimizing and then controlling their victims.

Customer:

Oh ok, so by showing that I don't care what they think will make them think that I'm not playing into their game and will leave me alone.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Exactly!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

They want results. Don't give them ANY.

Customer:

This sounds very helpful :), also just to know, what do I do if I encounter a bully that's move aggressive than verbal.

Customer:

more*

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Walk away, or punch him in the nose or other sensitive spot, real hard, if you have no choice (if he assaults you). Bullyies pick on people who won't fight back. Show him you will and he will leave you alone.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice :). I've been looking for definite answers for a while and these are the most straightforward and helpful. So I won't care for the verbal ones and stand up or defend if need be to the more aggressive ones. Thank you once again, I'll make sure to leave a positive feedback.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.