Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hi, My son thought that his diagnosis was bipolar 1 but has

My son thought that his diagnosis was bipolar 1 but has been told that he has not otherwise specified bipolar disorder. Since he did have a manic episode with psychosis I am thinking that this doesn't change the fact that he has the type that would be best treated with medication for a lifetime. However since there were possibly some other factors that contributed to the psychotic episode that were to do with an unhealthy lifestyle, I wonder if after a number of years of remaining stable it would be worth talking to his doctor about trying to do things with supplements, other treatments etc. or is that more likely to something that as you said is more suitable to someon with type 2 bipolar. I only ask this because of the side effects of the type of medication he needs to take. I would be interested to know your opinion. Thanks

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The NOS diagnosis is sometimes given provisionally when there is not information available to make a more complete bipolar diagnosis, but the physician still wants to document that the symptoms fall in line with bipolar disorder. As time passes and more diagnoses and assessments are made, the diagnosis may change from NOS to one of the other classifications.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There can be technical reasons (to literally following the diagnostic code) such as the durations of manic or depressive states were too short, or if no depressive state was noted. In any case, the disorder is just as serious and will require the same treatment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A healthy lifestyle is of course favorable to your son (and all of us). There are certain herbs that are beneficial. I hesitate to call them herbal remedies.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are a variety of "herbal remedies" that may be helpful.

Some could be helpful right now, particularly anything with omega-3 fatty acids, particularly flaxseed oil or fish oil or even eating plenty of fish (especially fatty fish).

The supplement choline which promotes healthy cell membranes and supports memory and good mood.

Tinctures of Kava Kava can be used sparingly. It is said to relieve both manic and depressed states.

Valerian root can also calm the hyperactive state of mania.

Chamomile tea is also known to calm the hyperactive state of mania.

Some recommend St. John’s Wort, which is a natural remedy for depression such as SSRIs. Like SSRIs however, it could incite mania if taken by itself. Therefore it should be taken with caution or avoided altogether.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I appreciate your concern about side-effects, particularly neurological ones(such as tardive dyskinesia) from the antipsychotics. His physicians will be aware of these dangers and will monitor him and may give him other medication to reduce those dangers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you continuous strength and courage. Try not letting your mind speculate too much on the future for your own well-being. You are going the extra mile for him and are doing something important: educating yourself to keep a caring eye on your son and on his caregivers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I continue to hold you all in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott