Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Is the treatment the same for not otherwise specified bipolar

Is the treatment the same for not otherwise specified bipolar disorder the same as bipolar 1 disorder? Would both types require lifelong medication?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I understand that you are continuously concerned about the welfare of your son, and that is understandable and normal. You are grasping at straws to try to find a ray of hope that will tell you that your son will be rid of this disorder and it will just go away. Most likely it will be with him for life, or until other treatments emerge that change the dynamics of the disorder.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Currently, there is no cure for BPAD, but it can be treated effectively. A recent study demonstrated that after only one year, almost half of the people treated for bipolar disorder had two or less symptoms. Half of this group still had some symptoms, usually depression. Even when treated, depression or mania recurs in most patients.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The goals of treatment are to make the episodes less severe and less frequent, help the patient function at as high a level as possible between episodes, and prevent self-injury.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The best outcomes occur when the disorder is treated promptly, as is the case with your son.