Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Im getting ready to move out of an abusive marriage but my

Customer Question

I'm getting ready to move out of an abusive marriage but my 19 yr old son wants to remain in home with abuser.my son just started seeing a psychiatrist for a anxiety..if im gone and out of house and leave son with abuser..will this be more damaging psychologically to him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If your son has been under treatment, it is probably for the anxiety that has been caused, at least in part, by seeing his mother abused by this man. He will be able to handle it. If he cannot then he probably has the option of moving in with you. He probably is comfortable in his own space and moving may be more damaging and a source of anxiety, then staying.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe he will be fine. Your husband abused you rather than him, and if he begins to abuse your son then your son will not accept it. He is also under the guidance of a psychiatrist who will help him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Now that you are no longer being abused in front of his eyes or ears, then he will improve.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do not worry. I believe that your son is resilient and fine. He knows how to get help and has shown a willingness to do so, which shows that he is very capable of seeking solutions to his problems.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great courage and strength (which you have already demonstrated by moving out). I believe that your son will be just fine.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep your family in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regard,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the quick response.. although it is what I'd hoped to hear.. having the expert knowledge/ is a huge help to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why is it so hard to leave after so many years of crazy verb/abuse, when the abuser starts acting nice an normal again to me?..Why am I suckered into his good acting?

Dear Tricia,

He knows how to control you. Perhaps he is a narcissist who gets satisfaction only by manipulating others to control them or to get admiration from them. Narcissists are not able to feel empathy for others like a blind man cannot see. He cannot feel your pain and suffering, and you have become his victim, although I would not doubt that he often claims that HE is the victim and you the perpetrator.

Narcissists are the best liars and con-artists and most people think they are terrific.

Here is a book that will help you:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder by Bill Eddy LCSW JD and Randi Kreger

May God bless you and your son.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ELLIOTT; Thanks so much for the psychologically related Reading suggestion, You have helped me immenslely to stay on track...Not only in the human understanding, but in the professional advice.

Dear Tricia,

Thank you so much for you kind words. I am blessed to be able to help others and I shall keep you and your family in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott