Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have read about TMS therapy for cases of bipolar 1 disorder

I have read about TMS therapy for cases of bipolar 1 disorder that are resistant to treatment but that they can make some people manic. However this did sound interesting but I read that it can cause seizures and if a person had a close family member who suffered seizures they wouldn't be eligible for this treatment. My son who is bipolar does have a brother with epilepsy, does this mean that since his brother has this he would never be able to try this form of treatment for himself or might it vary from one location to another. I think I also read somewhere that if you had ever had a psychotic episode which my son did have you wouldn't be eligible. It just sounds like a really promising direction in case meds don't work but perhaps not suitiable for everyone.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Research is still underway on the effectiveness of TMS or a variant of TMS (rapid Transcranical Magnetic Stimulation or rTMS) on bipolar I.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It has been shown to be effective for bipolar depression as well as for monopolar depression.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Left prefrontal transcranial magnetic stimulation has been reported to have ECT-like effects in depression. Experiments have shown that when the stimulation is on the opposite side of the head (right prefrontal) that significantly more improvement was observed then with patients using stimulation on the left side (where it was more effective for depression).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is not true, apparently, that having close family members with epilepsy or other problems producing seizures would prohibit a patient from having TMS.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In fact, TMS is being used on patients with epileptic seizures. Read the report:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.mindcarecentres.com/diseasestates/epilepsy.aspx

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You may want to look at this report as well:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9812128

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Likewise for psychoses. Some doctors are using TMS in the treatment of the most severe psychotic disorders, including schizophrenia. There is much research and many advances going on with TMS.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.drstubbeman.com/psychosis-treatment

In the meanwhile, your son may respond quite favorably to conventional medication.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is good to be informed and hopefully all the knowledge you are gathering will help in his future development.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you continued success.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott