Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am a 56 year old female. Twenty years ago I had a couple of episodes where I suddenly co

I am a 56 year old female. Twenty years ago I had a couple of episodes where I suddenly could not figure out where I was... in one episode I'd gone to visit a cousin that turned out to be less than overjoyed to see me. Suddenly I did not know where I was. The second episode was about a year later. I'd gone to the grocery and as I finished putting the food in the trunk of my car, I suddenly could not figure out where I was. I got in the car and just sat there, not having a clue where I lived or how to get home. The only home I could remember was my parents' old home place. I have never had another episode these past twenty years. But all these years I have wondered what caused this. I do know that both times I was emotionally upset right before it happened.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

People respond in different unusual ways to trauma or merely to stress. In this case, you had a brief incidence of what is known as Dissociative Amnesia (Localized or Circumscribed Type).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In this disorder, the patient's main problem is a least one episode of inability to recall important personal information. This information usually concerns trauma or stress,k and it is more extensive than could be explained by common forgetfulness.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This was a brief episode and never caused you dysfunction again and never became an issue again.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It can be more serious or extensive or long-lasting than what you experienced. You are fortunate that that was all there was too it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers for continued good healthl

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So... is this something I need to worry about? Is anything wrong with me now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why would something so small as my cousin not being friendly upset me to the point that I don't know where I am? I was upset, but I didn't think it should be enough to make me forget where I was.

Dear XXXXX,

There is no reason to worry about these two incidents that you experienced so long ago, as the seemed to be isolated and never reoccurred.

Evidently you may have been a bit thin-skinned (over-sensitive) at the time and perhaps there were other stressors also troubling you, whether or not you recall them after all of this time. In addition your resistance was perhaps low, or you were tired, and so on.

The incident was short-lived and you recovered, so in the grand picture this was not much of a trauma: just enough to set you off. This is nothing to worry about as you are evidently fine now.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"Nothing to worry about.." That's what I was hoping.

Thanks so much.

:)