Schuyler - ANP
Schuyler - ANP, Nurse
Experience:  Adult Nurse Practitioner, MSN, private practice and hospitalist experience
3157612

I am having an extremely difficult time with anxiety, and I

Customer Question

I am having an extremely difficult time with anxiety, and I think PMDD, as well as finding a doctor or the right medication, and I need immediate help. I live in an area that doesn't quite have any good quality physicians to handle my situation. I keep putting in calls, no one returns my calls, or the doctors that are available, have terrible reviews. I tried taking several medications and it actually made me physically worse and I am at my wits ends and am feeling extremely hopeless. I also have a lot of stress and no one seems to know what to do with me. Can you please advise. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille

Expert:  Schuyler - ANP replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to our site, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help you.

Why do you take the oxycontin and how much do you take (how much and how often)?

Are you currently on medications for anxiety?

For PMDD?

Do you have other medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or other conditions?

Have you been under the care of a psychiatrist? Or who has provided prescriptions for each of your medications?

I can provide you with information and suggestions, but we do not provide prescriptions, since that is illegal.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had mentioned previously that I had tried several meds and they did not work. I had back surgery also in 2005 and from time to time, my back still acts up so I have been prescribed oxy for pain. I take only as needed, but have noticed that when I do take, it helps reduce my anxiety as well. I have not been prescribed anything for PMDD except for Lexapro, but that completely makes me feel horrible. I tried it for a week, and then stopped. I couldn't even move, talk or feel anything and eventually admitted myself into hospital shortly there after. I was thinking something was wrong with me and they found nothing. I have been feverishly looking for the right MD but I cannot even begin to tell you how many doctors I have called and they do not either call back, or tell me they are no longer accepting any new patients. Even my own primary md gave me 2 doctors to call, and one did not call back, the other put me on a waiting list. I feel completely helpless.

Certainly a medication as strong as oxycontin should take care of anxiety as well as severe pain. However, it is never given for anxiety.

Generally practitioners are delighted to acquire new patients. A patient would call the office and make an appointment for an exam. Only then would the patient discuss what medications they wanted prescribed. If you have been calling and requesting narcotics, it is entirely predictable that the calls have not been returned.

I would suggest that you call the local Mental Health Society or similar service in your area. They can find a psychiatrist who will see you and attempt to find medication for your anxiety. There are many medications that can treat anxiety. Most of them take 2-3 weeks to come to therapeutic levels (other than the benzodiazepines like Xanax that are for short term -2 or 3 week- use only). If the medication is stopped after just a few days, it hasn't had a chance to work. Your primary provider can also refer you to a psychiatrist and even make the appointment for you if required. However, no one is going to prescribe oxycontin for anxiety if that is what you are wanting.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure that you are understanding what I am trying to say. I have tried different meds, and I have been calling the md's that are in my medical plan, etc. I cannot find anyone to return my calls, or have been told that the md's are no longer taking new patients. I cannot find anyone outside of my insurance plan, without having to pay out of pocket. I plan on calling again on Monday, and it's frustrating. I am not looking for oxy or any other pain killers for my anxiety, I was merely making a statement that when I do take them, I feel less stress as opposed to taking anti-anxiety meds the MD had prescribed for me. I feel WORSE being on the medication, I even tried pushing myself the last time and stayed 2 weeks on Lexapro. My boyfriend recalls me being suicidal (almost) that I HAD to stop taking them. My body is not reacting from what it seems, in the way that others taking the meds, do. I am at a loss as to what to do. I will be calling my primary again, but in the interim, I was hoping that I could get a second opinion, or other advice. I mentioned about the oxy only because it seems that it is the only med that I notice calms my nervous system down, where as the other meds prescribed for anxiety, make me feel much worse. I cannot afford to lay around for 3-4 weeks in a comatose state, nor feel suicidal. It scares the heck out of me, and my boyfriend. Something is off with me, I need help, I am not looking to find Oxy, which it seems as tho that's what you're implying? I thank you for your time, I will call my doctor again...and like I mentioned, I just wanted to get another opinion on what I should do.

Thanks for getting back to me. If the primary can't help, I would suggest you contact the ombudsman (they may call it customer representative or something similar) for your insurance company. They may be able to nudge a physician into giving you an appointment. I wonder if they actually know that the providers in their plan are not accepting new patients.

I'm a little confused about the comment that the doctor isn't calling you back. Physicians don't usually return calls from prospective patients. The patient sets up an appointment with the receptionist. and all matters can be discussed with the physician at the first appointment.

I understood that you had bad reaction to the medications that you have tried previously. However, there are literally dozens of medications out there that can be tried. Usually a combination of medication and talk therapy work better than either one alone for both anxiety and depression.

Do call your primary on Monday for a referral, but please let the insurance know about the runaround you've been getting from the providers in the plan. It is their responsibility to find someone to help you. You are paying for it (and paying dearly if it is like most insurance) and they aren't living up to their end of the contract.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

ξ