TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

if i have trouble getting myself to leave the house which kind

if i have trouble getting myself to leave the house which kind of psychiatrist should i see?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you might have anxiety or Agoraphobia. If so, you might find a Master's level therapist or a Ph.D a better fit for what you need. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor trained in psychology. They mostly prescribe medications, though they can do therapy. Someone with a Master's degree or Ph.D. however, just does therapy and can help you through what you are experiencing. A psychiatrist can give you medications to help you leave your home until therapy begins to help you do it on your own.

Here is a list of credentials to help you know what you are looking for:

You want to find someone who has either a M.S., M.Ed, M.A., or M.S.W./L.S.W or a Ph.D. These are some of the most common degrees for therapists. Other initials are usually extra certifications or licenses.

The type of therapy that would be most helpful is Cognitive Behavioral therapy. That type of therapy can help you identify your thoughts and change them so you can change how you feel. You can find a therapist that specializes in CBT or someone who uses an "eclectic" style which includes different types of therapy tailored to your needs.

To find a therapist, talk with your doctor for a referral. You can also search on line at:

You can also use self help to learn more about anxiety and Agoraphobia to see if that is what you might have. Here are some resources to help you:

On line links: types_symptoms_treatment.htm

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!