psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

Hi I separated from my partner during pregnancy and our

Hi

I separated from my partner during pregnancy and our daughter is now 8 months old and I see her 4 times a week, What issues do you see if she stahys overnight twice a week with me ??
At certain ages children tend to have some separation anxiety that is natural to them. This is normal and can be a problem in having trying to change her environment as in going through a divorce. These children when slowly moving away from the primary home can exhibit signs of stress. Most children grow into having to sleep both places. However sometimes they can benefit from familiar objects or routines over time. You as the nurturing parent will bring structure and she will not eventually become stressed from this situation. Bring in routine such as bed time or even her favorite toy/stuffed animal. Even a baby will eventually become more comfortable. At this age, you can initiate her to a new environment. Just respond to her emotions so she feels she is getting her needs met. Being a positive parent often allows for the transition. Just try to have confidence in your parenting skills and the sense of trust.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, so effectively whether she is 8 months, 16 months or 24 months there is the potential for anxiety separation ? and its a case of working through it with routine and familiarity ? Will it effect her in any way as she grows up ?
Exactly. A situation can trigger anxiety. this is mostly due to change. This ends as children grow older or move past the situation. Just keep trying
You sound like a good dad so just try to use change by being consistent