Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

For Bipolar 1 disorder I know exercise is recommended, however

For Bipolar 1 disorder I know exercise is recommended, however I wonder if it is a good idea if the person is beginning to feel manic. Would it be a good thing to do at that time or is it better to just try and calm down?
Thanks for your question. I believe I have helped you with a few previous questions and I can also help you with this one.

You are correct that exercise is recommended to help with the symptoms of Bipolar Disorder, but if you are noticing that it is causing you to start to feel manic, it would certainly be best to take a break and try to calm down. Exercise can be very helpful but it can be known to trigger symptoms, usually because of the increased heart rate. If you're finding the case, then once you are feeling better it may help to experiment with exercises that don't raise your heart rate quite as high, and see if you still have the same effect. You may also want to look into a heart monitor which are very affordable, and if you were to wear this while exercising it can help you to see if there is any correlation between your heart rate getting to a certain level and the manic symptoms. That way you can start to plan you workouts so that you can still exercise effectively but avoid feeling manic. Please let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck,