Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

My mother thinks she owns property and large amounts of money

My mother thinks she owns property and large amounts of money and I cannot convince her that she does not she gets very angry and calls me a liar , she won't believe anyone else either .What can be done.

Dr Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr Vikas :

Since when she started thinking that she is very rich and owns property and large amount of money?

Dr Vikas :

Is there any past history of medical or psychiatric illness for which she took treatment?

Dr Vikas :

Is she currently taking any medicines?

Dr Vikas :

Now I will wait for your reply so that we can discuss further.

Customer: It's been a little over a year since she started believing see owned property and money,she has diabetes and high blood pressure ,she takes glipizide and lisinipril with water pill but its hard to get her to take here meds she says they are poison.she was prescribed trazadone but won't take it.she does not sleep well.she also hears voices and sometimes sees things that are not there but never was diagnosed with a medical or mental condition . She refuses to see a doctor anymore.
Dr Vikas :

Thanks for your reply. It is possible that she is experiencing delusions and hallucinations. Delusions in simple language refers to false unshakable beliefs like (patient is very rich, their are people plotting against the patient, patient has some special powers etc.).

Dr Vikas :

Hallucination can be auditory hallucinations in which patient start hearing voices which on one else is able to hear.

Dr Vikas :

Hallucination and delusion are typical psychotic symptoms seen in psychosis.

Dr Vikas :

A patient suffering from medical illness such as diabetes and high BP has high chances of suffering from Bipolar disorder or Schizophrenia which are typical psychotic illnesses.

Dr Vikas :

A typical patient suffering from psychosis has no contact with the reality and has no insight regarding their symptoms.

Customer: How would I convince her she has a problem and needs to get some help
Dr Vikas :

See if she is indeed experiencing delusions and hallucinations then it will not be possible for you to convince her at all. For patients suffering from Psychosis, delusions are real. These patient have no insight about their illness.

Dr Vikas :

One possible way to deal with her right now is to not oppose her. Otherwise slowly and slowly she will also include you in a group of persons who are against her and plotting

Dr Vikas :

You can say that although you do not agree with everything she says but you will try to find out and understand.

Dr Vikas :

one good news is that these symptoms respond very well to medicines like Olanzapine, Aripiprazole, Risperidone etc.

Dr Vikas :

Most patient start responding within 1-2 weeks and slowly these delusions and hallucination go away.

Dr Vikas :

She needs to be see by a psychiatrist and her doctor can refer her to a psychiatrist.

Dr Vikas :

May be her doctor can help in this if she believes him or her.

Dr Vikas :

are you there?

Customer: She does not trust anyone even her doctor
Dr Vikas :

I can understand her situation. I can't suggest you a way to convince her. But it is also true that she requires psychiatric intervention.

Customer: I agree
Dr Vikas :

Probably one possible way is to ask her to see a doctor regarding her medical illness.

Dr Vikas :

but not regarding her mental symptoms.

Customer: I will try
Dr Vikas :

Don't worry, as soon as she start medicines, you will notice a great improvement in her symptoms within 1-2 weeks.

Customer: Thanks
Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

Wishing your mother a very early and speedy recovery.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas