Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have an allergy to corn products. I was a teacher and was

I have an allergy to corn products. I was a teacher and was forced to retire because it happened too often in the school setting. I think I was having panic attacks along with the allergic reaction. However, I need your help why I enjoy the EMS rescuing me??? This is sick. How can I stop this mindset? I even give myself an epi pen to make the symptoms worse. How can I get out of this cycle? Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Whenever someone finds comfort in others rescuing them, it usually indicates a need that is unfulfilled, most often from childhood. Being rescued signifies safety and comfort, which may be something you either did not get enough of as a child or you did not get at all. There is also a possibility that you suffered through some type of abuse as a child and were never rescued from those circumstances. By having the EMS come to care for you, you may be able to symbolize the loss you had as a child and finally be rescued from your circumstances, particularly if your life or well being is threatened in some way, like your allergy.

The first step in dealing with your need to be rescued is to explore your background to find out where the unmet need comes from. By finding the origin of this need, you can start to address what caused it in the first place. For example, if you find that you were abused or neglected in some way as a child, you can begin to work through your feelings from that time so you no longer feel the need to be rescued.

Therapy is an excellent option for your situation. A therapist will be able to help you find the reason behind your feelings and guide you on how to address it.

You can also explore what is behind your need through self help. Here are some resources to help you get started:

http://www.ascasupport.org/

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/child_abuse_physical_emotional_sexual_neglect.htm

Adult Children of Abusive Parents: A Healing Program for Those Who Have Been Physically, Sexually, or Emotionally... by Steven Farmer

Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life by Susan Forward and Craig Buck

Breaking the Power: Of Unmet Needs, Unhealed Hurts, Unresolved Issues in Your Life by Liberty Savard

The next time you feel the need to call the EMS, try asking yourself what you need right now. What is going on that you need to feel comforted? Is there someone who you can call that can help you feel better? Also, try writing down your feelings in a journal or even on a piece of paper. By keeping track of your feelings, you can begin to see a pattern and help yourself before your emotions get too intense.

Most of all, try not to see yourself as sick or strange. There is nothing wrong with you at all. You are just seeking comfort for a deep need. And you already recognize what you are doing so your insight will help you recover.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Thank you so much for the positive rating and bonus. I appreciate it!

My best to you,
Kate