TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I get really nervous somedays for absolutely no reason. I think

I get really nervous somedays for absolutely no reason. I think something bad is going to happen when I am at work my heart starts to pound.. Also my sleeping pattern is awful I can sleep maybe 3 hrs a night. Over other bought I wake upb in a panic because I think someone is going to break in. Anxiety runs in my family? Could this be symptoms?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

The symptoms you describe sound like anxiety. Feeling impending doom (something bad is going to happen), racing heart and trouble sleeping are all common anxiety symptoms.

When you are anxious, your thoughts are causing your mind to think your in danger. Your body reacts by releasing adrenaline into your system. Adrenaline cause you to feel the body symptoms that are common with anxiety. It is much like after you have had a bad scare except with anxiety, there is no focus. The only thing you have to focus on is how you feel.

One of the first steps to take with any suspected anxiety disorder is to see your doctor first. You want to rule out any possible physical disorder that could be causing your symptoms. Diagnoses such as thyroid problems and hormonal imbalances can often mimic anxiety.

However, if you do have anxiety, the good news is that anxiety is easy to treat with therapy. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. When anxiety comes on, you allow it to flow over you without tensing or panicking in response. This makes the anxiety reduce or go away faster. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at

Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But medications can help to reduce your symptoms quickly so you can work on overcoming your fears.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Thank you very much for the positive rating!

You may also want to try this resource to help you learn how to relax. The more you practice it, the easy it becomes to use it:

Take care