Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

With a healthy lifestyle and using Seroquel is there hope that

With a healthy lifestyle and using Seroquel is there hope that is my son does have a manic episode it could remain as hypomania and avoid the psychotic episode?
Well, the hope is that with Seroquel and a healthy lifestyle your son will avoid both full manic and hypomanic episodes. I would, however, still recommend adding psychotherapy with someone who is experienced working with BD into the treatment plan: medication, psychotherapy, and healthy lifestyle.

Have I mentioned the work of Mary Copeland to you? She is a therapist who has suffered from BD for many years. In my practice, I use the resources with people with BD from Mary Ellen Copeland. I have found her work easy for people to use and easy to keep with him . The biggest problem is forgetting to keep to the plan when times are good and then something happens! Copeland also was hospitalized. She developed a BD treatment protocol called Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP). First let me cite one of her books for you.

The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression by Mary Ellen Copeland. Amazon:

Now here's a YouTube search I've put together on the WRAP program. Look at the videos and see what you think:

The video with Mary Ellen is a bit strong but worthwhile.

So, again, the goal of medication is exactly to allow the person to avoid a full manic episode if he is disciplined about taking his meds. Hypomanic episodes also are less pronounced and easier to handle with medications.

Taking steps such as a healthy lifestyle can increase the effectiveness of medications tremendously, so that is very important as well.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX