TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

How can I control my behavior when I get mad?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

The first step is to recognize when you are becoming angry. If you can learn to recognize the steps, it can help you stop and redirect your feelings and behavior.

The next step is to find ways to redirect your anger. Things like removing yourself from the situation, taking action through exercise or physically getting your energy out and expressing your feelings in more healthy ways can help.

You can also list several positive messages that you can substitute for your anger. For example, when you find yourself becoming angry, you can think about something that makes you feel happy. Or substitute thoughts about a place you find relaxing. By changing your thoughts, you can change your emotions.

You can also try therapy if you feel your anger is out of control and these things do not help.

This resource may help you:

I hope this has helped you,