Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Having a learning disability & groos and fine motor skills

Customer Question

Having a learning disability & groos and fine motor skills delays Going to special education classes then going to normal classes was a diffuclt for me to make freiends. When you have a learning disability and have social skills problms does mean something is wrong with the brain.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Sometimes having learning disabilities and delays in development with fine and gross motor skills can co-exist with ADHD.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It may or may not be a physical brain problem but could be slow development.

Customer:

when i was 6 i was unfoicaly diag with very mild cp

Customer:

I had trouble with table manners

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Fine motor skills can become affected by injuries, illness, stroke, cerebral palsy, and developmental disabilities.

Customer:

It's better but, I have trouble with certain foods

Customer:

I used have funny walk but I have worked on it really hard

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It could be the cp. You must get further tests and assessment to see if anything can b done to help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That is wonderful that you were able to work on and master your gait (walking manner).

Customer:

I have some probloms with walking

Customer:

I have trouble carry heavy things

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It could be problems with the brain, spinal cord, peripheheral nerves, muscles or joints that are affecting your fine motor skills and this must be assessed thoroughly by a neurologist.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You respond well to therapy and you must continue.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Therapy will work as it did before when you had problems walking.

Customer:

yep

Customer:

It's very hard to talk about becuase I appear normal in public

Customer:

I like to type and talk to one of yall

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Then you must be a remarkable person.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Thank you.

Customer:

I am very smart I just have other side of me needs help

Customer:

I just don't understand I developed early crawled at early age then walked at 11 months and potty train at age 2 1/2 late talker but then was delayed 48 moths

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And that is where therapy, physical therapy, will work a lot better than words. You are a fighter and a survivor and a person who will overcome the obstacles she has to face.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Something happened sometime during your early toddler years: cp, a fall, eating something poisonous. It is probably not possible to tell unless they can detect cerebral palsy.

Customer:

I was always falling when I was little

Customer:

I had a goose egg on my had

Customer:

head

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It may be hard to know the exact cause, but you respond to therapy and that is the key to your survival.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You could have injured your brain, but this could just be something you were born with.

Customer:

my moms says she thinks her dr she gave me oxygen when I was born

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That should not have damaged you, but perhaps the doctor was worried that you had a short breath and was trying to insure your best entry into the world.

Customer:

my parents smoke cigs could this cause adhd mild cp

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Yes it could, but you could have had CP in the womb for other reasons.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A fetus lacking oxygen in the womb can cause CP. Cerebral palsy is caused by brain damage that affects the parts of the brain involved in controlling movement and coordination. A child who suffers from CP will have difficulty with motor skills and balance, and also often will have some developmental delay.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The best treatment is physical therapy, the use of braces or casts and occasionally surgery.

Customer:

I feel my speech is good but sometimes I feel I sound mini storke

Customer:

having mild cp wiith learning problms adhd just makes me have low sel esteem

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me recommend a book for you to help you restore your self-esteem. I think you are an amazing and courageous person.

Customer:

have you heard dysprixia

Customer:

when i was in college I went tutoring alot I would give my tutor blank stares one day I went over to my backpack with my feet asleep and passed out

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Yes. Dyspraxia is closely associated with ADHD and involves the kinds of gross and fine motor skills problems you have talked about, but it does NOT mean that you have CP or other disorders such as MD

Customer:

what is MD

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

muscular dystrophy.

Customer:

I have heard of it but I don't have the problem

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You do not have it and may not have CP either but just dyspraxia.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dyspraxia is closely associated with ADHD.

Customer:

When I had blank stares at my tutor does that mean I was having absent seziure

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And smoking while pregnant can cause ADHD. Read this article:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070523103740.htm

Customer:

Dyspraxia is more like my mom had to help me with showers and my hair

Customer:

my mom had to help with buttons

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Fine motor coordination problems.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Absent seizures can also be associated with ADHD and it s possible to have both.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have only had one (or few) incidents like this and so you cannot worry about it.

Customer:

ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Keep working on yourself. You are making great progress.

Customer:

I just wonder why my parents didnt get me testing for adhd

Customer:

My 9th grade teacher saw me struggle one pulled me out of her class she ask if I just stoped taking medication becuase was not out foucsing we move soon after to another town

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your parents didn't know any better, I suppose.

Customer:

My cousin was on adhd meds he started having dobble vision

Customer:

I am nervous about medication

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You need to talk to the doctor about your fears, start off slowly, and it it doesn't suit you then you can stop taking it. If it does it may improve your life a great deal.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have been a very brave person and you must not be afraid to try something new.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You can always stop it if it bothers you It is worth taking a chance for there is little to lose.

Customer:

adhd medications have harmful side effects

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I hope that I have been helpful to you. :)

Customer:

yes

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.