Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am curious about non sexual OKMH615211postanswer

Customer Question

I am curious about non sexual masochism. where can I find something online to read about that. I want to know the causes and how someone can become free of this.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Masochism (the non-sexual type) has never been recognized as an independent disorder in the DSM psychiatric diagnostic manual, and has been put in with other personality disorders.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Some time ago there were attempts to give it its own designation and it was defined as:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

"a pervasive pattern of self-defeating behavior, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts. The person may often avoid or undermine pleasurable experiences, be drawn to situations or relationships in which he or she will suffer, and prevent others from helping him".

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have prepared a list of readings on the internet that will give you further means of inquiryl

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I hope that this the information that you are seeking.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you wish to delve deeply into this area and purchase a learned work on the subject, I recommend the works of Theodore Millon, the most respected name in the area of personality disorders. Here is a link, with descriptions, to his works.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you warm regards XXXXX XXXXX success, and to that goal I shall keep you in my prayersl

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regardsk,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks. i would like some online sites or books that address the matter - I am already seeing a professional.
Here is the link to his works:

http://millon.net/content/books.htm

Elliott
Thank you. May God bless and heal you and your loved ones

Elliott