Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My Brother in Law has a bi-polar disorder that his physicians

My Brother in Law has a bi-polar disorder that his physicians have recommended ECT as other therapy has not yielded any positive results. The problem: Here in Texas he cannot receive ECT unless he signs a release at the time of treatment. He is not mentally stable enough to do this although at times of lucidity he has told his wife that he wants the treatment. Doctors tell her (His wife) that she could not sign him into this treatment even if she gained guardianship over him because of Texas laws. How do we get him the treatment he needs?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You should all be well informed of the benefits of ECT, and of the risks, including memory loss.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is a similar technique that might not require such strict guidelines because it is not invasive. It is called TMS or Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation which is FDA approved, covered by Anthem and other companies, has a higher success rate than ECT, and unlike ECT does not have to be repeated every 3 months.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If the family is already convinced that they wish to go forward with this, and the brother-in-law is in agreement, then he could prepare the necessary document, and while he is at it, also a living will.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He will have to sign this in front of a notary public, including your attorney if he is one, when he is feeling lucid. This is a legal document which will grant the medical facility the necessary documentation that the procedure has been agreed to by the patient.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The Living Will will provide clarity to medical personal in case the patient becomes incoherent as to whether or not to resuccitate him him, put him on life support, and what level of needed care is necessary to either keep him alive, or just keep him comfortable if the need arises.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

resuscitate

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The signed and notarized document should provide all of the legal authority needed.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish your family the best of health and wellness and shall keep you all in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"If the family is already convinced that they wish to go forward with this, and the brother-in-law is in agreement, then he could prepare the necessary document, and while he is at it, also a living will.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He will have to sign this in front of a notary public, including your attorney if he is one, when he is feeling lucid. This is a legal document which will grant the medical facility the necessary documentation that the procedure has been agreed to by the patient."

The living will aside, his ECT doctor says he cannot accept a notarized statement that documents his concession for ECT therapy. He says that concession by my BIL must be with two witnesses at the actual scheduled time of the therapy. We have consulted with a lawyer who returned $3000 deposit because she could not help us. Since we cannot determine when my BIL is going have a lucid period (which seem to be getting shorter in duration) we cannot schedule a time for ECT treatment that will coincide.

Dear XXXXX,

You will have to work this out with the hospital. Almost every hospital has people who are notary publics working for them. With your gentle persistence the hospital can get any two staff members as witnesses, and when he is lucid call up the notary public and any two witnesses, let your BIL make the statement, and have the witnesses sign the already prepared papers in front of the notary. This will have to be at a time when the therapy can be done.

Yes, the logistics are difficult, set up by a very thoughtless legislative decision, but the only other choice is to take him to a neighboring state for the treatment.

Two-thirds of bipolar patients initially have periods of lucidity between mood fluctuations, whereas one third are continuously symptomatic. He is in the latter group.

You have no options other than to be ready to spring into action by scheduling ECT on a regular basis, with the cooperation of the hospital, get them to facilitate this as best as possible.

If the will not try their utmost to accommodate him, then you do have the option of going to another facility or to another state. The only other option is not to give him the treatment, and that is not what you want.

If you want positive results you must be relentlessly persistent until you achieve your goal.

I wish you great perseverance and success and to that end will keep your brother in law in my prayers.

Warm regards

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.