TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I know this would vary from patient to patient but I wonder

I know this would vary from patient to patient but I wonder how often a person suffering from Bipolar 1 might expect that they have to have their medications adjusted or changed.
Hello, I hope it is ok if I answer this question for you.

You are right, it does depend very much on the person, the type of medications and factors in the person's life as to how often they would need to change their medications.

Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But how often these changes are needed depends on a person's own body chemistry and the current symptoms they are having. Some people have faster metabolisms than others which affects medications effectiveness. Also, stressors also affect symptoms as well as the kind of medication the person is on.

It might help to ask your son's personal doctor for his/her input since they know your son's personal medical history and his reactions to other medications. That can tell how he might react to the medication he is on for Bipolar.

It may help to know that many people with Bipolar can stay on the same dosage of medication for a long period of time. It helps to take the medication as prescribed and on a regular schedule. You can also learn more about Bipolar medications to help figure out how your son might react. Here is a resource to help:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_medications.htm

Kate
Thank you! It was nice talking with you again. Take care.

Kate