Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

I am trying to help my son find someone to provide therapy

I am trying to help my son find someone to provide therapy and support as part of the treatment plan for dealing with bipolar disorder. What is the differance between a psychologist and a pscychotherapist and which one would be best suited for this purpose?
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have over 10 years of experience working in mental health.

A psychologist and a psychotherapist perform very similar functions and would both be qualified to help your son. A psychologist would have a degree specifically in psychology, where a psychotherapist may have a degree in something similar such as clinical social work. Both would be qualified to provide counseling for your son. The biggest thing you want to look for in selecting a therapist for your son would be to find someone who has experience working with people who are bipolar. If your son is a child or teenager, it would also be important that this therapist has experience working with youth. I would highly recommend talking to a few psychologists or psychotherapist and ask them a few questions about how they would treat your son. That way you can get a sense of who would be the best fit for him. If you need help finding a therapist, there is a great website where you can enter your zip code, insurance information, and find your best local options. I definitely wish you the best with all of this and if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.