psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

I just broke up with my girlfriend and it was me breaking up

I just broke up with my girlfriend and it was me breaking up with her because I could not stand her. But now I feel absolutely terrible about it, I cannot tell if this is guilt or depression but I have felt absolutely terrible since I made this decision, it was a relationship I wanted to end for a while, are these types of feelings normal and what should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
It is normal for someone to feel guilty when situations are not handled the way we want them to. Emotionally charged situations can produce depression and guilt especially if we question the way we behaved at the time. If this relationship is something that you wanted to end then focus on your own transition by doing things you enjoy and trying to move past this in a meaningful way. Make time for you so that you don't dwell on this situation. Reassure yourself that relationships end and almost everyone moves on to find happiness - her too. When you give yourself permission to move on you will. Eventually over time you will slowly decrease your need to reevaluate your actions. Situational depression is short term and resides on it's own. The next time you may be able to handle expressing your feelings in a more appropriate way. For now allow yourself pleasure in whatever way you feel appropriate.
psychlady, Therapist
Experience: Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.