Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I think I am getting the idea of how to help my son cope with

I think I am getting the idea of how to help my son cope with his bipolar 1 disorder. He was a bit manic the other day but was able to realize this was happening and able to get back in touch with reality. I have been told that it will take 2 1/2 weeks for the Seroquel to be working. My question is at what point does he contact his doctor if he experiences a manic feeling .

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am glad to hear that you are learning to cope with his illness and helping him to do the same.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He does have bipolar disorder and will have mood changes and some manic moments.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me make an analogy to a person with pneumonia, who was under treatment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

They would still have some coughing spasms but this would not be an occasion to call his physician.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The only time I would recommend contacting his physician (or the ER) is if he seemed so out of control that you feared that he would be a danger to himself (engaging in reckless driving or talking about harming himself). Otherwise, you can continue to keep him calm. You seem to do such a good job.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I expect that he will make positive progress as most under treatment for bipolar disorder do.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Keep up the positive attitude and the prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott