Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

Is banging yhour head rapidly against a pillow over and over

Is banging yhour head rapidly against a pillow over and over again a strange and possible problem that my oldest son has at l8.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have over 10 years of experience working in mental health.

I can certainly understand why your son's behavior would be alarming. Typically this would be a sign that he is struggling to control his anger or frustration. If this behavior is something that happens very often then it is very possible that your son is struggling with some problems and would benefit greatly from meeting with a professional therapist in order to determine exactly what that is and how to best work through it. If this is something that does not happen very often, it may still be a sign that your son is struggling with something at the moment, although if he is otherwise fairly well adjusted it may not be anything to be overly concerned about unless this becomes a pattern or you see other signs of him having trouble managing his anger. No matter what the underlying reason, if he is willing to talk about it with you or someone else it may greatly help him to start to express himself in more healthy ways than banging his head against the pillow. I definitely wish you the best with this and if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.