Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

my brother has taken pms- Fluoxetine for many years and the

my brother has taken pms- Fluoxetine for many years and the new doctor he got cut him back now were having problems with him. could it be because he cut him back.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have over 10 years of experience working in mental health.

It's certainly possible that your brother's reduced dosage is behind the problems that he is having. If you've notice that your brother started to have more difficulties around the same time that the medication was cut back, this would certainly be something to make his new doctor aware of so that he can continue to monitor his behavior and adjust his medication accordingly. Sometimes people struggle any time their dosage is reduced, but once their body adjusts to the lower dosage, that dosage may actually help them even more. However, either way if you are having concerns about your brother and the problems he has been having lately I would certainly have him consult with his doctor or even consult with his doctor yourself if necessary. I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well right now his doctor relocated. we didn't notice anything for quite some time then all of all of the sudden he got what he called a pressure on his head and he'd get very hyper and some angry also scared. [he's some autisic.]

If these problems started to occur within a couple weeks of the medication reduction it is very possible that it is related. Even if it's not due to the medication, it would still be worth the time to find a new doctor or psychiatrist who can take a look at his medication history and work with the current problems that he is having.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what i want to know to is if they up the meds again will he go back to the way he was before, or will it all have to be done with diffreent meds or what?

If it seems like his problems are due to the reduction in his medication, then most likely if they increase the dosage again your brother will go back to the way he was before. That would be the most common way of handling a situation like this if they feel like the medication reduction is the problem. Otherwise they would usually try a different medication in combination with what he is taking now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thankyou

No problem, if this has been helpful and you wouldn't mind leaving me a positive review I'd really appreciate it. Best of luck with everything,