Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My ten year old daughter has a real fear of dying. This started

My ten year old daughter has a real fear of dying. This started 6 months ago and seem to worsen when she became sick with the flu shortly after the fear of death became apparent. She also tortures herself with at such and such a dtae she is going to die or at such and such a time someone in the family is going to die etc. She is getting increasingly anxious and this is very apparent by her body language. Her fear becomes especially apparent when she is on school holidays ie less busy.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your daughter is suffering from anxiety. Hers manifests itself in a fear of death - a phobia.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Perhaps there was an initial event that traumatised her: a television show, a movie, a news report, a death of a family member or friend, or something she heard at school.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That is how these events begin. She suddenly realised or learned that we are all mortal, that life is finite, and that she could lose her mum or dad or sibling or other close family member. When she became ill she realised that she too was not immune.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A good counsellor or therapist can help her overcome this fear and lose the phobia, using various therapeutic techniques to help her change her thinking. Even one session worked and she should continue going.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would also like to recommend a couple of books that will help you to help her.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Phobias are not difficult to overcome, but you should take action as soon as possible, as this is affecting her life and the rest of your family as well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She will quickly recover once you begin treatment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success and shall keep her in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you give me some pratical advice to help her in the meantime as she is fairly distressed?

Also what type of therapy would be best suited to her needs?

Dear concerned mother,

You must assure her that all is fine, and that all life has a beginning and an end, but most people live to old age, and that she will be fine.

She needs to be distracted and kept busy. If she brings it up tell her not to worry because everything will be fine. Then change the subject and do something pleasant that involves her.

The best therapy for her would be a form of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy known as Exposure and Response Prevention, in which she would be exposed to thoughts of death by the professional therapist but not allowed to respond with fear. This is done VERY slowly, and will eventually habituate her to NOT reacting to the thought of death. It will normalise those thoughts.

Here is a book that will help you understand and that you can use yourself to help her:

Product Details

Think Good - Feel Good: A Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Workbook for Children and Young People by Paul Stallard

I am sure that it will help a great deal.

May God bless your family.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.