Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

From what I have read it seems most people with bipolar disorder

From what I have read it seems most people with bipolar disorder seem to have to change medications quite frequently. Something works for awhile and then stops. Is this the norm?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are many meds and combinations of meds that psychiatrists use for treating bipolar disorder from mood stabilizers to antipsychotics to anticonvulsants and antidepressants.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is very often a trial and error technique, and sometimes it takes a lot of experimentation to find the right mix and the best dosages. A skilled psychiatrist may still have to experiment but can usually find the best mix and then will have the patient stabilized and will continue on the same drug or cocktail of drugs.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Some drugs seem to work for awhile, but then there is a relapse and the doctor will either increase the dose or move on to something else.

Customer:

Are there enough choices to get a 28 year old through a lifetime since it doesn't seem there will ever be a cure

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Absolutely. There are a great number of antipsychotics - the older ones and the new ones (atypical, they are called), several mood stabilizers, and a variety of anticonvulsants (antiepileptic drugs).

Customer:

I sure wish there could be a cure for this for my son and all the other people who deal with this disease but I guess I should be grateful for the medications although they certainly have some bad side effects

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

During my internship my supervisor was a psychiatrist and was often adjusting dosages, or he would say "if it ain[t broke don't fix it. This very psychiatrist himself has bipolar disorder, was under the care of another psychiatrist, and was on the same mixture for years.

Customer:

Oh, that is encouraging, thanks

Customer:

I think since my son had a manic episode with psychosis, he is bipolar 1 , the more difficult one to treat

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The psychiatrists must monitor the side effects (often facial tics) before they become problematic. They are all aware of these possible complications and have other drugs they can give to ameliorate problems before they happen.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Sometimes either can be treated with the same ease or difficulty. Each case is different.

Customer:

That is good to know. Right now my son is trying 100 mg of Seroquel at bedtime. Apparently it will take a few weeks to work but so far he thinks he likes it. He was a bit manic this week but was able to recognize this and get in touch with reality

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He is so fortunate to have you being is guardian angel and looking out for him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The Seroquel will make him very sleepy.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a wonderful person and it hurts to see him deal with this but hopefully this will feel better in time. It is such a shock. Yes the Seroquel is making him sleep which is good since before the manic episode he didn't sleep for four days

Customer:

Thanks for your support, it is helping me so very much as I learn to cope with this situation

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He will begin to stabilize as he gets used to the medications and he learns to function at a normal level, without the mania driving him at high speed.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Don't let yourself become ill with anxiety over this. He will normalize and you will take this more and more in your stride. I see you calming some in the last couple of days.

Customer:

I will be so happy to see that. It was also difficult to watch him go through the depressed state before starting this medication but at least now he knows that it ended after one week. I hope he doesn't have to have long periods of depression. Yes, I am beginning to feel better. It is difficult because my mother suffered from depression and dellusions and the outcome was not good. At least she was fifty when it happened, better than 28 . I will now give you an excellant rating.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am so happy to help. May God bless you and your family and heal your son.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott

Customer:

Thanks so much