Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

I have a depression and anxiety disorder. I have been taking

I have a depression and anxiety disorder. I have been taking antidepressants and benodiazepams for the past couple of years but my life seems to have gotten worse, not better. I think I need help getting off these medications as I feel the cure has become worse than the disease. How can I get off these medications? Who can help me? Who do I contact? Thank you. KMB

Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have over 10 years of experience working in mental health.

The best person to help you get off of these medications while minimizing the side effects would be a Psychiatrist because they have the medical and mental health background to help you to reduce the dosages in the most appropriate way for you. I would be happy to provide a link to some local psychiatrists. Would that would be helpful to you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I have a psychiatrist but he just keeps giving me more medications for every ailment I have. I was wondering if a holistic health professional or someone like that could help me reduce my medications. Or perhaps I need a second opinion from a psychiatrist?

Unless the holistic health professional has a proper medical background then it would not be the most advisable person to help you get off of these medications. Not all psychiatrists believe that more medication is always the answer, so a second opinion may be a big help. You may also want to get an opinion from a psychologist or licensed therapist who may have more experience with how these medications affect people emotionally and they can also make some recommendations to a psychiatrist. If you decide that you don't want to continue with the medications no matter what, you can also interview a few different psychiatrists and see who is willing to work with you with the goal of getting off of the medications. The most important thing is trying to find someone who shares your view and uses medication as more of a last resort rather than being very liberal in prescribing them. I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.