Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Good Evening. I have asked questions before about my husbands

Good Evening. I have asked questions before about my husband's diagnosis of Frontal Lobe Dementia. I am just a bit confused at the moment as over the last few days it seems he has had somewhat of a miraculous recovery. He is chirpy, he seems alert, clear and not so distant. I would like to know if this is normal or is it possible that he is actually improving. Regards Priscilla

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear Priscilla

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your husband may have the irreversible Frontal Lobe Dementia (frontotemporal dementia) which is the progressive deterioration of the frontal lobe of the brain which then advances to the temporal lobe.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

While there is no cure, there are treatments that alleviate the symptoms, which may be what you are seeing.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is also a REVERSIBLE cause of frontotemporal dementia: Spontaneous Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The third possibility is that he was misdiagnosed.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In any case, it would be best to have him back to the neurologist for further assessment. Perhaps this is the miraculous recovering for which you have been praying

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall continue to keep both of you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer:

Thank you for coming back to me with the alternatives. I will see that we go back to his physician for re-assessment. He has been on the same medication for 2years now to keep him stable. Is it possible that he is entering a manic state?

Dear Priscilla,

From your description, he is not showing signs of mania, but rather signs of well-being and good mental health.

Below is the psychiatric manual (DSM-IV) criteria for mania. You will see that your husband does not fit.

Mania DSM-IV

A) A distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive or irritable mood, lasting at least 1 week (or any duration if hospitalization is necessary)

B) During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:

1) inflated self-esteem or grandiosity

2) decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)

3) more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking

4) flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing

5) distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)

6) increase in goal-directed activity (at work, at school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation

7) excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

C) The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed Episode

D) The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.

E) The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance or a general medical condition.

From your description it sounds as if he is improving, or at least has good or excellent moments. I pray this is a positive development.

Warm regards,

Elliott