Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Although I wish he would not do this, my son who has recently

Although I wish he would not do this, my son who has recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder plans to try and return to work after he completes a six week intensive outherapy treatment plan. His boss can be very difficult and the other concern is that my son is having short term memory problems. I would like to see if there is any professional that could be hired to help him try and transition back into work and help explain his condition to fellow workers. If this is what he wants and can do this without getting worse then I would like this to work for him

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Memory problems are sometimes inherent in bipolar disorder. The culprit, however, may be the medication rather than the disorder itself.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The medication that affects memory the most is lithium, but other mood stablizers and antipsychotic medications can as well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are several things that your son can do to help to compensate his faltering memory:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

• Carry a pocket notebook with him and list thing things he wants or needs to remember.

• He can use his smartphone to similarly make a list, or a little pocket voice recorder.

• If he repeats things to himself that he needs to remember, they are more likely to stay with him

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He can also take supplements of fish oil or other sources of Omega 3-6-9 to boost his memory.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are other supplements that will definitely help such as B Vitamins, C and E, Acetyl L-Carnitine, CoQ10 and others. I take many supplements daily and have quite a good memory.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here is a source list:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.memory-improvement-tips.com/vitamins-for-memory.html

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I do not think that someone should try to explain anything to his co-workers. This will stigmatize him and cause him to be set aside and perhaps ever scapegoated.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If he feels he will benefit from counseling or psychotherapy, then it could not do him harm. I

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you recall the story I told you of my psychiatrist friend with bipolar who nevertheless functioned as a top psychiatrist, then you can pass the story on to your son to inspire him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You can give him this book, which is quite helpful:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

or get it as an audio CD here:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It has just been released:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know by David Miklowitz and Kris Koscheski (May 6, 2013) - Audiobook

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is best not to draw too much attention to this disorder. I understand how concerned you are and want to do as much as possible for him. He needs time, however, to focus on normal everyday life as well so that he does not develop anxiety about having this disorder.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall continue to hold your family in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott