Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

When do i know its time to check myself into hospital psych

Customer Question

When do i know its time to check myself into a hospital psych ward? I have a long history of trauma and abuse. I suffer from depression and ptsd, low levels of bpd. Lately i have been sleeping a lot, not eating well, not exercising and been completely depressed, crying, wishing to no longer exist but no plans to commit suicide, hardly moving my body at all, taking neurophen to help dull the pain from being soo unfit and living with abuse:(.Should i just go to a doctor or psychiatrist to get meds or do i need hospilization? I also dont leave the front door or go outside(social phobia) and i live with my abusive dad and stressed out mum, parents are separated living in the same house and im in the middle of their divorce problems:(. Do i need to go to hospital to get away or seek treatment or should i just move out and find a new job and live away from my parents? Am i sick do u think ? Im scared of the hospital controlling my life or rather taking over making me feel more trapped and more unwell. Atm i feel trapped with my living situation, as not working and on the disability pension but i want to go off it and get full time work although i havent worked in 4 months. I feel working will get me bk on track but can i handle it atm? Am i wrong here? I dont know what direction to go- hospital or full time job(avoid hospital), i dont know what to do:(. It doesnt help that i currently have no car or drivers license yet and am stuck relying on my dad who verbally abuses me:(. I feel very trapped. But should i go to hospital just cos i feel trapped and unwell?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Being admitted to the hospital is usually based on certain criteria. One is if you are a danger to yourself or others. Included in that is whether or not you are able to care for yourself. This includes eating (not losing significant amounts of weight), hygiene, sleeping enough, etc. Another consideration is if you are able to function in daily life. If you are unable to complete most tasks and cannot function well, you may be admitted to the hospital.

Because of how you are feeling, it may be a good idea to go to the ER to get an evaluation. You need to be assessed to see what your level of need is. The doctor can tell you if you need admitted. If not, they can let you know what might work for you.

You may also want to contact the doctor that prescribes your medication to see if increasing your medication for now might help.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Here is a link that may help:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/168999-common-psych-evaluations/

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. Do u have any idea what the best anti depressants are on the market with low side effects of weight gain and sex drive? Thanks ill rate u!:)
I would be more than happy to help you on any new and different questions you have. All I ask is that you remember to rate my answers for each new/different question you ask. Thanks!

Prozac and Zoloft are both commonly used medications that are known not to cause weight gain. Wellbutrin is also another commonly used medication that is known to be weight neutral.

Kate