Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Now that my son has bipolar disorder I want to make sure that

Now that my son has bipolar disorder I want to make sure that he knows when to contact his doctor and if he starts with his family doctor or goes straight to his psychiatrist. If he is feeling manic when should he contact his doctor and if he is feeling depressed how long should he wait before contacting his doctor. He just finished a depressed cycle and it lasted one week. If he is feeling restless he tries to exercise to deal with the manic feelings.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Hello again. I shall try to help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your son recently was diagnosed and began his medications. They will take time to come into full effect and they may have to be adjusted to suit your son's temperament and physiology. "One size" does not fit all in treating any psychiatric disorder, and this is particularly true of bipolar.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If the depressive stage is particularly strong, then he may better respond to one antidepressant over another. If there is little depression, sometimes antidepressants can promote mania. Bipolar patients should NEVER be given antidepressants (with few exceptions) without also giving a mood stabilizer, or antipsychotic, or anticonvulsant drug.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He may have moments of mania that seem to get out of hand. It is known that aerobic exercise is actually quite effective in helping to stabilize the manic feelings, and to sooth depression as well. It is one of the best tonics available.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The psychiatrist has probably set a schedule to come back to have a brief chat with your son to find out how the meds are working and continue or make adjustments or additions.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Unless he is having a crisis, then he should see the one who is managing his medications - his psychiatrist.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In the unlikely event that he is having a very serious crisis and you are afraid he might be suicidal, then take him to the ER.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Keep him from having any artificial sweeteners, limit his caffeine and alcohol, and if he is having racing thoughts, let them happen and don't alarm him with your worried reaction.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

During my internship, my supervisor was a psychiatrist who had suffered from bipolar for years and still had it. He was under treatment by his psychiatrist.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He had more patients then he could handle because he was so level-headed and likeable and competent..

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He had previously been a pediatrician but loved psychiatry and went through that specialized training. While diagnosed with BD he was chief resident of a major teaching hospital.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In his clinic practice, where I would spend the entire day with him two days a week, he saw a lot of bipolar patients. To the new ones he always said, with great encouragement and a warm smile, "Welcome to the club".

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I tell this story because I understand how very concerned you are and I want to reassure you that this is not and insurmountable task, but just something that can be dealt with successfully.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Allow me to recommend two books for you and your family that will prove most helpful:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I hope that this is helpful to you, your son, and your family.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott