JaRee1993
JaRee1993, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed to diagnosis and treat mental and emotional health issues of adults, adolescents and children and pastoral counseling.
11914957

My adult son diagnosed Schizophreniahrenic in 2010 I thought

My adult son diagnosed Schizophreniahrenic in 2010 I thought was doing okay. I have moved and now discovered that he steals but only if the opportunity presents itself. He then denies it. I dispense his meds and he appears to be taking them. He drinks beer occasionally, I don't believe excessively, but there's an issue here. Can you point me in the right direction to address this?

JaRee1993 :

Hello, My name is Ja`Ree, I am a mental health counselor and I would like to assist you with your concern. If you do not mind I would like to ask you a couple of questions to better assist you.

JaRee1993 :

Is your son under the care of a psychiatrist or other mental health professional? When is the last time he was check for effectiveness of medication? I see that you are offline right now, however, if you would like to talk with me further concerning your son please reply to my message and I will respond as soon as I see your response. I will be online until 10:30 AM EST and will be back online around 6:00 PM EST and will watch for your reply. Thank you for contacting Just Answer. Ja`Ree

Customer: My son has been checked in September. The Psyciatrist thoughtmthat we could possible reduce the meds because he had no incidents but because I just relocated we thought we may wait to see if any behavioral changes would occur. Things were good until now.
JaRee1993 :

I would strongly recommend that you get him to go back to the psychiatrist to have a medication check to see if that is the problem. Have you moved closer to him, or away from him? I also know that mixing the medication and alcohol is a dangerous thing to do. The drinking may also be causing the medication to not work properly. Does your son listen to you and follow your recommendations? I will be waiting for your reply.

Customer: He lives with me. He listens to my instructions and is not giving any other problems.
JaRee1993 :

Then I would highly recommend that you get him to go to the psychiatrist to have his medication checked. Is he seeing a counselor at all right now? I know a counselor will be able to help him with any issues he is having and help him develop skills that will enable him to not continue the inappropriate behavior as well as to assess whether or not the drinking is playing a part in his behavior. Does that all sound like something you and he would consider? Ja`Ree

Customer: Yes. He has a counselor here so I will see if I can quickly get him an appointment.
JaRee1993 :

I think that it is really important to do that. Is there anything else I can help you with? May I follow up with you in a week or so to see how he is doing?

Customer: Yes following up with me would be great! I just want to be supportive but not enabling.
JaRee1993 :

I understand that and sometimes that is a fine line. I will follow up with you in a week to see how he is doing. Please complete rating survey to assist me with providing the best service possible to our customers. Thank you again for contacting Just Answer. Ja`Ree

JaRee1993 :

Please complete rating survey to assist me with providing the best service possible to our customers. Thank you again for contacting Just Answer. Ja`Ree

JaRee1993 :

If my answer was helpful please complete rating form so that I can be paid. Thank you again for contacting Just Answer. Ja`Ree