Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

Since my son did have psychosis with his first episode of mania

Since my son did have psychosis with his first episode of mania and diagnosis of bipolar disorder does this mean that treatment and control will be more difficult. Does it mean that he would have less chance of success at some point in the future of it being controlled by say natural supplements or diet?

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue as well.

I am very enthusiastic about natural supplements and diets. However, I do not believe that it would be truthful to say that supplements and diet will control Bipolar Disorder (BD) that is severe enough to have had a full manic episode with psychotic features. Even though I've seen herbal remedies and supplements and diet help so many maladies, there is no evidence that they will control BD with psychosis.

I can imagine how hopeful that would be. And I wish it were effective. But let me tell you what will help your son most for the long run: being faithful to take his medications, finding a good psychologist/psychotherapist to work on managing the symptoms, and being very strict about taking the medications no matter what he feels like. These steps will keep him within the mood range he needs to be and keep the psychotic tendencies from coming to the fore.

The longer that he can stay stable, the greater his chances of slowly lowering medication dosages and perhaps weaning off. But I am talking about very long term prospects. The key for your son is to be stable for a matter of years. That is what his brain needs to thrive.

And he should know that there are quite a few famous people even, in history, who had BD and were able to thrive. Robin Williams, the comedian/actor, for example. The key is that he maintains a strict strategy to stay stable, meaning he takes his medications faithfully and exercises faithfully and eats a healthy diet.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX