Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have a husband that got diagnosed by my words that he has

I have a husband that got diagnosed by my words that he has paranoid behavorial disorder. The doctor never met my husband but based on what i said and the symptoms i explained
diagnoised that he has this disorder. My question is can he be treated
?By going to a therapist.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr Vikas :

are you online right now?

Dr Vikas :

Paranoid behavioral disorder can be considered to be a type of psychosis.

Dr Vikas :

Is it possible for you to mention his symptoms?

Dr Vikas :

For treating Paranoid disorder, the first line treatment are antipsychotic medicines like Olanzapine, Aripiprazole, Quetiapine etc. Most patients start responding to antipsychotic medicines within the first week and a good improvement can be seen within 3-4 weeks.

Dr Vikas :

Therapy can have a supportive role only in treating paranoid behavioral disorders.

Dr Vikas :

It appears to me that you are offline right now. I will wait for your reply so that we can discuss further.

Customer:

the symproms are as follow:

Customer:

1: he is misunderstanding me almost always. he gets annoyed almost for no reason and starts fighting and abusing and after that he pulls away from everyone. it might take couple of hours to days - weeks or even months based on the severity of the situation and according to the way he interprets in his mind.

Customer:

sometimes no one says anything but he interprets according to himself and gets annoyed. After no one dares to go to him because he is usually so angry but after few days if the person begs and says I am sorry he might forgive. he usually forgives strangers faster that his family members. his relationship with me getting worse and worse. He is verbally and physically abusive. Most of the time I don't know why he is angry so much, his illusion about his understanding makes me crazy. the more I try to understand the more he gets angry.

Customer:

He seems having an ego that no one can touch. very much proud of himself and his achievement in business but so aggressive with people who work for him. whatever he believes is correct and others are wrong.

Customer:

.

Customer:

he is very generous with others but with me he is sometimes stingy and sometimes generous. he blames me for every mistake his children make and if he fights with one of his children he abuses me infront of them and then doesn't talk to me for weeks. even after he makes up with them, he stays angry with me. I found out he has some relationship with others but I don't know how deep were these relationship. he all the time wants to control me and my children. such as where to go.with whom I should be friend and etc. he all the time says to his children that you have to thank me for what I do for you and you should listen to me and do what I ask. for example if I say study this subject u should say yes and go to that place u should say ok. He doesn't accept any kind of refusal. but in return he is so stubborn and not caring about others opinion. he consider himself a unique person and praises himself all the time.

Customer:

it is almost 1 month that I have left him along with the kids. he has cried a lot during this past month and said everyone about our relationship and asked them to help him to get his family back. all these years he couldn't bear me now he seems and acts as he loves me a lot

Customer:

now Idon't know if he is curable or not . he doesn't trust me at all and say I shouldn't have trust you before. he all the time suspects that others fill my brain with their wrong guidance and everyone is jelious about us and want to destroy our life. please tell me what to do?

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for your reply. Please accept my apology for the delay in replying back. I was very busy in the mean while and just saw your response.

Dr Vikas :

The symptoms you have mentioned do indicate the possibility of some psychotic illness, specially this one "sometimes no one says anything but he interprets according to himself and gets annoyed. " which could be because of auditory hallucinations (hearing voices).

Dr Vikas :

Do you think that he is also suspicious about relationship with others specially men?

Customer: Hi dr Vikas,
Customer: sorry i just came online. He is not suspicious of me but he thinks i am not caring about how to raise my daughters and thinks his daughters gonna be bad in future and that's why they should be highly restricted. Once we had a big fight over what he felt in this regard. After that he didn't dare to mention it but he is suspecting me that teaching and guiding his children against him
Dr Vikas :

OK, the hallmark symptoms of Paranoid disorder are Delusions and Hallucinations. Delusions are false, unshakable belief while hallucinations refers to hearing voices or seeing imaginary things which are not there. Suspiciousness, mistrust, irritability, anger outburst, sleeping difficulty, etc are other associated symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

another very important feature is that patient is not aware about these symptoms and consider him or herself totally normal. There is typical lack of insight about these symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

As I mentioned before, these symptoms respond very well to medicines such as atypical antipsychotics like Olanzapine, Aripiprazole, Quetiapine, Risperidone etc. As seen in clinical practice, most patients respond within 1-3 weeks and within a month a great improvement can be seen. Psychotherapy given be a therapist can have a supportive role but medicines are the first line treatment.

Dr Vikas :

So, to answer your question, yes, he can be treated. In my view, a combination of medicines + therapy can be very helpful in his case.

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics