Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

For a person who has bipolar disorder do they have a right

For a person who has bipolar disorder do they have a right to choose which medications they do and do not want to take. The goal of course is to be on something that controls the symptoms but if they aren't feeling well, do they get to choose to be on something else?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Every person, including those who have bipolar disorder have the right to choose their treatment options, starting with psychiatric medication and with type of psychological treatment they may receive. Bipolar disorder does not take away any of your rights, even more if it is about your health and integrity. Thus you choose which prescribed psychiatric drugs you want to try or use, and which ones you don't.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The only scenario where a person with bipolar or any other mental heath disorder could be forced to take a psychiatric medication against his/her will, happens if the person is undergoing a serious crisis where their personal or other people's life integrity were at risk because of the severity of the crisis, since the ultimate value is to protect the person's life and well-being, and if the person presents a high risk to harm self or others, then in those cases an intervention can be initiated by trained professionals and the person restrained and put on medication without his/her consent.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the time that they are allowed to hold someone for is 72 hours against their will in order to help the person be on the correct medication and I understand that is best for everyone. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX trying to rate you but I think I need to reply in order to be able to do this.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That's correct, depending on the state where the person happens to be located in the US, the laws change, and these initial periods could be extended for longer as necessary, in compliance with sound clinical judgment and the law.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for your trust.