TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi,On a warm summers day Im worried OKMH65211postanswer

Hi,On a warm summers day Im worried about wearing short, shorts in public, as most of the time if not all the time Im wearing trousers. How do I get the confidence to go out in shorts, Im not worried as such about my legs, just what people may think of them

Hello, and thank you for requesting my help.

The main issue here is what others think of you. If you were able to go out in shorts when no one was around, it is doubtful you would be concerned. And you wear shorts around your home, which means you feel comfortable in them if you know you are not going to face strangers and therefore possible criticism.

If you are concerned about what others think of you, then that is usually linked to a self esteem issue. People naturally want to fit in in society, so caring what others think is natural. But when you fear criticism for a personal choice, that can be a sign of self esteem issues.

In order to improve your self esteem, you can either choose to try therapy, which can help you work on the origin of your self esteem issues and find resolution, or you can use self help. Here are some resources that can help you get started:

Self-Esteem: A Proven Program of Cognitive Techniques for Assessing, Improving, and Maintaining Your Self-Esteem by Matthew McKay and Patrick Fanning

The Self-Esteem Workbook by Glenn R. Schiraldi

How to Raise Your Self-Esteem: The Proven Action-Oriented Approach to Greater Self-Respect and Self-Confidence by Nathaniel Branden

You can also try easing into wearing shorts outside by doing it around family and friends first. Family and friends know you so what they say about what you are wearing is usually easier to hear without feeling upset. And once you feel comfortable around your family and friends, you can expand wearing shorts out anywhere.

I hope this has helped you,