Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Professional Interview and Response

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a psychology major at the University of Phoenix. I graduate with my BS in psychology in July of this year, and plan to obtain my Masters in Clinical Psychology. The purpose of this email is to ask for your help in completing an assignment I have in my class PSY/480. My assignment is to interview two helping service professionals from two different settings, with one being a Clinical Psychologist or Psychiatrist, or Drug and alcohol counselors, Clinical social workers, Licensed professional counselors, Marriage and family therapists, Psychiatric nurse or Psychological assistant. I am to ask the following questions: In what setting do you practice? How long have you been practicing? What are you specialties or areas of clinical focus? What are the most common disorders you treat? Do you have any special certifications or training beyond your original graduate coursework? How do you approach therapy or treatment? Do you use specific modalities, techniques, or interventions? What ethical and legal issues do you think are the most challenging or common? Do you have an opinion on where you think the field of psychology is heading? What do you enjoy most about your work? What advice would you provide an aspiring psychologist or therapist? The information will only be used for academic purposes; it will take approximately 30 minutes to an hour to answer the questions. I understand how busy health care professionals and Clinical Psychologist are, and I really appreciate you taking the time out to answers my questions. Thank you so much for you time! --Lindsay

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear Lindsay,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have worked off line and here are my answers. I wish you great success and shall keep you in my prayers to that end.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In what setting do you practice?

I practice in several venues: in my own office next to my home; via telephone; via internet chat, and; via email.

How long have you been practicing?

About 25 years

What are you specialties or areas of clinical focus?

I particularly like the challenge of being a diagnostician, but I enjoy all aspects of counseling and therapy.

What are the most common disorders you treat?

Various disorders that result from the trauma of abandonment, neglect or abuse, particularly PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, victims of narcissists, anxiety, and depression.

Do you have any special certifications or training beyond your original graduate coursework?

Yes. I am an LPCC and have two certifications from the National Board of Certified Counselor: 1) NCC (national certified counselor) and CCMHC (Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor).

How do you approach therapy or treatment?

By listening closely asking appropriate questions, and trying to guide the clients toward appropriate solutions.

Do you use specific modalities, techniques, or interventions? I use Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Some CBT, Existential Approach, and other techniques when appropriate. I am flexible and try to find the best path to the solution.

What ethical and legal issues do you think are the most challenging or common?

Clients who don’t pay their bill when they learn (or I learn) that their insurance does cover my services (happened several times). I just accept the loss.

Do you have an opinion on where you think the field of psychology is heading?

The medical approach (psychotropic meds) versus the psychotherapeutic approach.

What do you enjoy most about your work?

Helping others and finding effective approaches since each client is unique.

What advice would you provide an aspiring psychologist or therapist?

Don’t expect to get rich and don’t use your profession in the service of those who will use their ability to diminish freedom of expression and liberty.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Dear LIndsay,

I wish you great success in developing your career.

Godspeed,

Elliott