Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist

Asked a question earlierand lost my connection. I asked about

Asked a question earlierand lost my connection. I asked about last week how I fell through the platform I was up on. As I fell the lanyard tethering me to the machine wrapped around my neck.as I was up there I thought i dont care if I die. The thing I'm happy with my life and don't want to die.why in the world would i think that.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Camille~Moderator

Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.
I would like to help you with your question.

I'm sorry that your initial question has been lost as Camille indicates. Still..if you are open I would like to help you today.

I can understand how baffling it is to think that you were so willing to have your life end. One would think that your survival instincts would have kicked in and you would have fought to live.

What happens in life and death situations is that our normal ability to process information, to reason, and to be fully aware of our surroundings gets shut down. This is because we go into shock and are primate response system leads us to fight, flight, freeze, or appease.

In your case...your response was to freeze and to be in a place of acceptance. Remember that this is a near instantaneous process...the body finds itself in trouble...the body reacts. There is little, if any, time to think through what action to take.

Since fight, flight, freeze, appease is a response mechanism, it might be helpful for you to think about other times when you felt threatened, were in harms way, or otherwise in jeopardy and to consider what you did in those instances. Did you also freeze? Did you fight? What was similar or different from the lanyard incident?

I await your response.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only time I had anything like a near death experience was back in 91 when I was wounded in Iraq. In that case my reaction was way different. I was for lack of a better term pissed off. I cussed and screamed and did my best to get out of harms way.
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.
Hello...
So in that instance your body reacted by fighting. Could it be that your response in Iraq was prompted by the fact that you knew you were in a war and you knew what you would need to do to survive? Also, I am assuming that you did not want to let your fellow soldier/comrades down?

What I am suggesting is that in Iraq you had some idea that your life would be in jeopardy and so that your body was prepared. In this new instance...it was all a surprise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could be. All I know is I have a good new job and great family and friends and am on the verge of being in a relationship with a woman in my opinion is out of my league looks wise. Thanx for the help.
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.
Hello again...

Yes..it seems that many, many positives are in your life and so that your thought at that moment did not match reality. Remember, however, that your thought process was blocked by the shock and that your reaction was purely based on a primitive response.

Take care!
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist