Dr. Glick
Dr. Glick, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Adolescent Development, at-risk youth, aggression and violence, emotionally and behaviorally disordered.

I have a 26 year old stepson who OKMH64211

Customer Question

I have a 26 year old stepson who just graduated with honors from the New York School of Visual Arts, but who was diagnosed with "bipolarism" last February. He had a 'manic episode' which resulted in being hospitalized for 10 days in a pschy ward. He was placed on some medication (I don't know the name but he says it is not primarily an anti-depressant) ) and told to take 'it as needed'. He takes it about 3 times a week. He has become extremely depressed, sometimes he says even suicidal, is convinced he has no talent at all, will never get a job, (he has just received a temporary "menial" job) and keeps repeating a mantra to his mother that he is useless, an idiot, his brain does not function at all well, he can never hope to find a woman, a good job, a decent living et., etc., Meanwhile he reads Nietzsche for entertainment, but says he doesn't fully understand him, (in support of his self proclaimed stupidity). I have known him for 5 years, my own IQ is over 140 and I have regarded him as smarter than I am in many ways. As a lay expert in psychology I diagnosed his need to keep repeating that he is useless as a need to feel good about himself by blaming his 'condition' for his situation as opposed to 'himself'. Knowing that and believing that. has helped reduce his uncontrollable lamentations about how incompetent he is. Questions: 1. Are there "degrees of bipolarizm'? 2. Can truly bipolaristic people self medicate as in 'take a pill when you feel you need one'? 3. Is this condition permanent? 4. Can any more be done than provide the strongest possible emotional support and follow the psychiatrist's instructions with regard to medication? 5. Is it fair to say he is very likely to get better and function at a high level, as do many other with his condition?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Glick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Glick :

HiCustomer My name isXXXXX and I am willing to work with you to help identify some solutions you may want to consider to resolve your issue

Dr. Glick :

Let me ask some additional questions before I respond to the ones you have posed.

Dr. Glick :

First, Is your stepson currently seeing a mental health professional besides the Psychiatrist who prescribes the medicine?

Dr. Glick :

Second, does your stepson live with you and his father, or with his mother, or is he independent living by himself or others?

Dr. Glick :

Third how long has he been in this depressed state, and has it occurred before? Does he cycle through the manic and depressed stages of Bi-Polar and if so, is it a pendulum swing or abrupt?

Dr. Glick :

It appears you are not in the chat area... I will switch this to Q & A so you can respond at your convenience.

Expert:  Dr. Glick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't think he is seeing anyone but the psychiatrist.

My step son (Call him A) lives in New York. He rents a room from a friend and right now has no income at all. His mother (D) lives with me in Florida in an oceanfront condo. His mother and I have been together for 5 years and I support her. She works and supports him and has been since the beginning of 2013.

He comes to Florida every 2 months or so and stays with us. He just left for NY after a 3 days stay here.

As far as I know he has been somewhat depressed from time to time, but no more than might be viewed as 'normal'.

He stands 6'-1" is not overweight and is good looking.

He has what I call (in a book I wrote called Relationship Power 2010) a good physical 'society grade'. Meaning he is an attractive and well spoken man. (No reason for depression here)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you not get my answer? I'm still waiting to hear from you.

Expert:  Dr. Glick replied 1 year ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for the additional information and responses to my questions. Before I provide you with some strategies you may consider, I will respond to each of your questions below.

Questions: 1. Are there "degrees of bipolarizm'?

ANSWER: There are phases (peaks and plateaus) in bipolar conditions. Degrees suggest severity and that is not the typical way we diagnose using the DSM...now version 5. Rather we use a five part axis system....

2. Can truly bipolaristic people self medicate as in 'take a pill when you feel you need one'?

ANSWER: I would never suggest that anyone at any time self medicate, whether their condition is physical or psychological. Even when a prescription is written "PRN"... there are usually specific instructions as to when, how, and under what conditions those medicines are administered. Even over the counter drugs, have specific instructions on use, and usually a time limit that if symptoms worsen or do not improve, immediately seek the advice of your physician.

3. Is this condition permanent?

ANSWER: I would not refer to the condition as permanent. Rather I believe a more appropriate term to use is "Chronic". The condition will probably never go away (unless we find a cure); HOWEVER, the condition can certainly be managed so the individual can effectively function.

4. Can any more be done than provide the strongest possible emotional support and follow the psychiatrist's instructions with regard to medication?

ANSWER: See my further comments below.

5. Is it fair to say he is very likely to get better and function at a high level, as do many other with his condition?

ANSWER: I would think with proper and appropriate intervention his situation should improve.

FURTHER COMMENTS AND NEXT STEPS:

I sincere hope you do not take my initial remarks as anything but objective and without malice. However, no matter how bright we are, or how much knowledge we possess, it is never a good idea to try to treat ourselves, especially when psycho-social issues are involved. Indeed, whenever I have had issues, either with myself, or my family, even if I had the answers (or thought I did) I would always refer to others). I strongly urge that you and your family do the same for your stepson. Toward that end, you have told me that you do not think he is actively involved with ANY mental health professional. As such, I suggest you consider the following and take appropriate action as you see fit:

1: Get your step son to a Psychiatrist ASAP for an immediately evaluation of current condition and review of medicines.

2: With consultation from the Psychiatrist, have your step son commit to seeing a competent and qualified mental health professional (there are many in the New York City area) that could see him regularly to deal with the issues that effect and impact his condition. I strongly urge a mental health counselor (Psychologist, Social Worker, Psychiatrist) but one who is a designated Mental Health Counselor (now licensed in NYS) who can competently deal with the myriad of issues your step son is facing. Without knowing the case details, I can assure you that this condition is complex that requires constant and consistent intervention by a competent therapist.

3: You and the rest of the family can best be supportive by insuring that your step son seeks and remains in a therapeutic relationship and NOT attempt to treat or offer treatment... some of his issues may involve those who are trying to help.

4. Provide, as you currently are, as much love, support and encouragement in a realistic and pragmatic fashion...that is the best intervention for family members.

I hope this has been helpful for you. Please contact me with either a new question or if you need further information if necessary. I look forward to your feedback and positive rating.
Dr. Glick, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Adolescent Development, at-risk youth, aggression and violence, emotionally and behaviorally disordered.
Expert:  Dr. Glick replied 1 year ago.
XXXXXXXXXX:

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Please contact me if there is anything else with which I can assist.

Let me know,
Dr. Glick