Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My Girlfriend and I are sitting here trying to determine if

My Girlfriend and I are sitting here trying to determine if she has an illness or if there is a blockage that occurs for people at certain points in life. Here is the question: everyday we go in public, she constantly looks at other mens eyes and says she doesn't remember looking at anyone. She says she wasn't paying attention. I was beginning to think I have a problem, until today, when we were in a store and less than 7 feet away, a man was looking at her and she looked back at him staring 5 times, his wife was fasr behind the shopping cart and noticed they were looking at each other, and I saw her glare at him and then she looked at me and i could see her anger in eyes as she was disgusted with my girlfriend staring at him 5+ times. Right after we left store, I asked her and My girlfriend says, she did not look at anyone, she doesn't even remember seeing anyone, and she says she may have looked, but never saw anyone there. She says she doesnt remember people anywhere or anything? Is this normal or is this possible that someone can really look at men all the time and not see them? Is this an illness, or am i just a fool being lied to and played?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i believe i can help you with your problem.

I can understand your dilemma but unfortunately there is no such psychiatric / neurological condition / disorder where she would look at a male and then forget about looking at him when confronted. You see for this to be a psychiatric/ neurological illness she should have had the same experiences with women too but her experiences have been restricted only to men only which does not fit any sort of illness and indicates towards her making this all up to avoid any altercation with you.

I reckon it is about time for you to confront her strictly without letting her distract you with such sort of unreasonable explanation and if possible ask her to get herself evaluated by a neurologist for Seizure disorder ( some seizures may have instances where the person goes blank , although her case does not fit it since she has been intentionally, willingly looking at other males and merely giving you an excuse of a supposed illness) plus get her MRI scan / CT scan done to get to the bottom of her claims.

I believe she will resist any form of evaluation and investigations fearing revelation of her real intentions. When this happens you got to capitalize on this and confront her to admit the truth.

I hope you see the bigger picture and prevent any further lying and deceiving tactics from her by applying the above mentioned strategy.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Regards.

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Greetings and Thank you for your response! there is one small part that she is claiming and that is she says she is "looking Without attention, in other words, she is not conscious of even looking at these men, in fact now she tells me she doesn't remember even furniture, other cashiers or anything or anyone... is this possible? deep down in me, this was the as it happens each time we go in public, however, its always the same response each day, that she wasn't looking at anyone, even though other people are noticing it as well.

Well can you please tell me why is it that she ends up staring only at men and not at women ? If there has to be an organic cause / pathology for her condition then her staring should be equally pertinent to both males and females which is not the case here.

Secondly as I said earlier you may get her consulted by a Neurologist and get her EEG and MRI scan done to rule out any organicity / pathological cause which may be leading to her condition. But if these two investigations rule out any sort of organic cause then I believe you got to accept the ground reality about she doing it deliberately and then making excuse to you to shield her actions..

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards..