Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am bipolar have ptsd, severe depression, and hear voices

I am bipolar have ptsd, severe depression, and hear voices and have hallucinations what are the best medicines for me. right now i am on abilify and cymbalta but they are not helping

Thanks frances

Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i believe i can help you with your problem.

Well for Bipolar disorder abilify and Cymbalta combination is not the first line of treatment as there much better and effective drug regimes which suit bipolar symptoms , these are as mentioned below. You shall discuss them with your doctor and choose any one of them.

1) Zyprexa ( olanzapine) at dose of 10-20 mg / day + Depakene ( valproate ) at dose of 300-500 mg two times a day .

Zyprexa is an anti psychotic used for management and prevention of acute manic / hypomanic symptoms and depakene is a mood stabilizer used for maintaining stability of mood and stop mood swings between the two extremes namely mania/ hypomania and depression.

2) Zyprexa ( olanzapine ) at dose of 10-20 mg / day + Prodep ( Flouxetine) at dose of 40-60 mg / day.

Prodep is an anti depressant and helps not only to prevent depressive cognition but also together with zyprexa maintains mood swings.

3) Risperdal ( risperidone ) at dose of 2-4 mg / day as an antipsychotic agent + Depakote ( divalproex sodium ) as a mood stabilizer , here Risperdal replaces zyprexa while Depakote replaces depakene.

Kindly discuss these drug regimes with your treating doctor and reach a consensus on choosing any one of these formidable drug regimes which are way much effective than the current drug regime.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Regards..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about closiril

Do you mean Cozaril ( clozapine ) ?

Well you see although it is an effective anti psychotic drug but it is reserved for treatment resistant cases when two or more anti psychotic drugs have failed plus it comes with some serious side effects like agranulocytosis which can derrange your normal blood paramters.

So clozaril needs to be rerserved as a last resort when other drugs do not work , please do not exhaust this drug so early.

Another brand name for prodep ( fluoxetine) is Prozac.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards..

Regards..