JaRee1993
JaRee1993, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed to diagnosis and treat mental and emotional health issues of adults, adolescents and children and pastoral counseling.
11914957

My CBT therapist has asked me on several times what I want

My CBT therapist has asked me several times what I want to work on. When I say something like immaturity, he says that I am not immature. However, I am still left struggling to find something specific to work on. I really could use help in handling stress better yet again that is another global problem. I really have no specific negative thoughts either as I do not see things in absolutes. My question is, should my therapist be helping me narrow down what I want to work on or is it the nature of CBT that I already need to have specific defined concrete issues to start therapy? Should I be looking at an different therapeutic approach other than CBT?

Hello, my name is Ja`Ree and I am a mental health counselor. It is often difficult to know what we want to work on in therapy right off the top of our head. In answer to your question maybe you can look at different areas of your life and do what we call a satisfaction rating scale. I often use these scales with my client's who are not sure what they really want to work on. After they rate the different areas of their life on a scale of one to ten then we go over the scale and pick out two areas they would like to work on and set up a treatment plan to help them achieve their goals they have chosen from using the scale. Does this make sense? If you would like to talk further about this please reply to my message and I will respond as soon as I see your reply. Thank you for contacting Just Answer. Ja`Ree

Good morning, I just wanted to follow up and see if you and your therapist were able to utilize the Life Satisfaction Scale to assist you in choosing a goal to work on. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again for contacting Just Answer. Ja`REe