Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

my son is on zoloft. he cant eat until evening. as a result

my son is on zoloft. he cant eat until evening. as a result he is extremely thin. cant drink dairy. so eats little fat. he is just skin and bone. What should I do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 1 year ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a licensed psychotherapist, and I hope to be of some assistance to you here today!

Heidi LPC :

Weight loss is a common side effect of Zoloft, affecting children and adolescents more frequently than adults. According to E Med TV, 7 percent of children taking Zoloft experienced weight loss of greater than 7 percent of their body weight.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/244304-zoloft-weight-gain-or-loss/#ixzz2Uy3JHDGn

Heidi LPC :

If a person loses too much weight, they can be at risk for reduced immunity and other health issues, so it is important to talk to your son's doctor to be sure that his health isn't being compromised. In terms of adding weight, first of all, protein will be important. Protein powder drinks/smoothies can help as can a diet of lean protein such as chicken, beef, etc...

Heidi LPC :

He is going to have to add calories to his diet throughout the day, whether he feels hungry or not. Here is a great link with some suggestions on how: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-to-gain-weight

Heidi LPC :

Eating plant based fats that are high in calories is a healthy way add pounds and gain weight. Consume healthy fats from nuts, seeds and avocados in order to gain weight

Read more: Video: How to Put on Weight | eHow http://www.ehow.com/video_4985439_put-weight.html#ixzz2Uy4pXCMR

Heidi LPC :

I know you said he doesn't drink dairy, but here is a list of some other foods that might help:

Heidi LPC :

Grains

Thick bread made with whole grains will provide you with additional calories that can help with weight gain. Cereals with a high density can also help, although you can simply add flaxseed to your current cereal to gain the same results. If you eat pasta or rice, choose the whole-grain versions, as they contain more of the nutrients needed for weight gain.

Vegetables

Although many people associate vegetables with losing weight, certain members of this family can help you to put on weight in a healthy manner. Potatoes, corn and winter squash will all help you to bulk up and you can include them in nearly any meal. Carbohydrates, such as potatoes, lead to sustained, healthy weight

Full Size Image
gain because of their high caloric values.

Fruit

Many believe that since fruit contains water, it will not help you to gain much weight. However, fruit juice and dried fruit contain more calories and can help you to gain weight when consumed as a snack. A banana also contains about 130 calories, while still providing your body with the nutrients that it needs to remain healthy.

Dairy

Dairy products like cheese, milk and yogurt can significantly increase your caloric intake. Adding cheese to your stews, adding yogurt to some granola and drinking a glass of milk with every meal will help you to add calories to your intake throughout the day. Twelve ounces of 2 percent milk contains 180 calories and a cup of low-fat vanilla yogurt can add 200 calories to a meal.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/375588-healthy-food-to-put-on-weight/#ixzz2Uy56VGyh

Heidi LPC :

I hope that these suggestions have given you some ideas of foods to purchase or have on hand to help him. Let the Dr. know that this is an issue for him, though, because there are a variety of antidepressants available on the market that possibly won't have this weight loss effect on his body.

Heidi LPC :

Thank you for using the site today, and please let me know if there is anything else you need from the answer! I am happy to work with you until you are satisfied with the reply. Have a great morning!

Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Give me a list of antidpressants that dont cause weight loss

Is there a medication he can take to settle his stomach . He suffers from nausea and vomiting. What do you think about coconut milk and almond milk. Also, is it possible that he has a parrasite. He did yard work in the summers for a lawn company. Now, he is too frail to do that.

Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 1 year ago.
Interestingly enough, Zoloft is generally one that doesn't always effect weight either way... but each body is different. Zoloft is an SSRI, which is class of antidepressants that are effective in improving mood, but they generally do not cause side effects such as weight gain or weight loss. They are listed below:
  • Zoloft
  • Lexapro
  • Luvox
  • Celexa

SNRIs another type of antidepressant drugs that attempt to correct the chemical imbalance in the brain in order to enhance the mood. In addition, side effects such as weight gain or weight loss have not been associated with these antidepressants. SNRIs, which have no effect on weight, are shown below:

* Cymbalta

* Effexor

Given this information, you might want to ask your Dr. about switching to a SNRI instead to see what effect they might have.

Coconut and almond milk are fantastic options for any of us--- great taste as well as highly nutritional! Liquid meals such as Ensure, etc. can help get nutrition into his body without having to eat a big meal. Over the counter anti-acid meds like Tums, etc. can help with nausea, as can eating mints, but with that information about the nausea & vomiting, I highly recommend that you contact your Dr. right away and get in to see him/her. Antidepressant therapy shouldn't cause him such discomfort and GI problems... there has to be a better solution to enhance his quality of life rather than impede it so dramatically. I say get an appointment a.s.a.p.!

Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor